Thread: FedEx to United
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 11:45 AM
UnusualAttitude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by Vernon Demerest View Post
It’s not the night flying that would bother me about working for FX. It is the night hub turns and sitting around. Used them this year and it looked miserable. One pilot from each crew was “laying over at home” (daytime layover) so I guess that worked out for those two but the night sort stuff would kill me. The first leg probably not too bad but the sit and subsequent leg killed me as a jump seater and I couldn’t imagine doing that for more than a few months in my career.
Now, having said the above - I don’t understand our (UAL) guys saying “I can’t do red eyes “ and then talking about all our international widebodies etc. as a positive. When you fly a 777 or 787 (or even the 757/767), long haul, a portion of that will be at night most likely so let’s not get too high and mighty. Yes, we have people to prepare our meals using real China and utensils and good rest areas (FX 777s have even better), but we “fly at night” as well. Like so many have said- a good problem to have in selecting between the two. Very different cultures/flying careers. I’m very happy with the one I made and I hope the OP is as well, no matter the direction taken.
You make excellent points, I agree with them. I would mention commuting on Purple after flying all day is a little different than being the operating crew who laid around and slept a good bit of the day. That being said, I bid off of a domestic aircraft to an international fleet and personally enjoy the flying more than the hub turning. Day time hub turning gets monotonous but man it’s easy for the most part. Fly to MEM, workout, eat, nap, handle business, fly out. Boring and typically fairly short layovers though.