Thread: career change
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 09:43 AM
dhc8fo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

I often agree with Skyhigh, and maybe that is because we have both "been there."

I think you should go get your ratings because you feel very strongly about it and that's wonderful. Work hard and learn as much as you can.

HOWEVER.....

Before you dump your current career, try REAL HARD to think out of the box and see how you can use what you already have (as far as your business and talents) and how you can incorporate flying into it.

I have absolutely NO IDEA what your business is, but it sounds like an incredibly good business where the corporation can buy a nice plane and you can fly to all of your assets....talk about a perfect world! You get to fly, your business makes money based on your traveling, and then there's tax writeoffs galore.

You don't have to start off with small potatoes (ie: a small single engine plane, think as big as you want...hell, buy a small jet, just be smart and hire a good pilot to help you out til you have experience so you don't kill yourself).

Believe me, I sit around all day racking my brain trying to put myself in an opportunity like the one you seem to have. My problem is that I am a professional pilot who is trying to have a family life at the same time. Doesn't work too well. But here you are are a business professional who can ALSO have a professional flying life and STILL keep your current life.

The grass isn't always greener, and with the proper planning and priorities you can set yourself up with one hell of a flight department and YOU can control your pay and your schedule. This is something you will NEVER be able to do flying for someone.

Think about it and good luck!