View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Tankerds
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by GeliDonut View Post
Are you guys still doing your own flight planning, and scrambling in your turn time to try to get a meal? Two simple changes they could make almost instantly to make life easier on the road.

Still doing our own flight planning and w/b. I do 1-2 the morning of and the remainder get filed/planned etc inflight at cruise. It’s much needed to have guys doing that for us though, and it’s silly it’s gone on this long. We get crew meals paid for by the company, so I’m never scrambling to eat

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
That maybe an isolated case. I can tell you from experience that planning for 5 flights, weather, notams, TFR's etc, then doing the weight & balance and fuel planning on top is time consuming. Most of that occurs at the hotel the night before when you're supposed to be on rest and more often than not it was all for nothing when the flights get pulled and replaced with new trips.

I'm not one to bash Wheels Up. I had a good 6 years there but now I'm at a place where all of that stuff is done for you and crew meals are provided throughout the day. The difference is significant.

In your 6 years at WUP you didn’t try just planning 1-2 the morning of and the rest inflight? Not much going on for a 1 hour cruise, mine as well do the planning then. That’s what I do, only spend maybe 15-30 min a day planning anything at the hotel. If you need extra time, wait till you’re on duty and plan then… no need to waste your rest time doing that stuff

Originally Posted by ArticPilot View Post
Out of curiosity I am looking to joining Wheels Up in a year or so. However, for y'all that have been there awhile how many hours do you manage to get in a year on the KA side? Are the King Air's single pilot and do you get a single pilot type? What are upgrade times? Any chance of getting waivers for mins depending on ones background? Thanks in advance.

400-500/year, no all our planes are 2 crew no single pilot types. Right now the mins for upgrade are 3000 total, 1500 turbine multi time, 750 multi turbine PIC. WUP counts your PF time in the right seat towards the PIC mins for upgrade. As of right now no chance for waiver for mins we use to do that but when wheels up bought Gama they said no more waivers and made all 3 of those times hard times. If it goes back to the way it was before, 3000 total is the only hard time, the rest are waiverable