View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 03:15 PM
TransWorld
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

I took a graduate level statistics course and got an A. So I understand random coin flips with an unweighted coin. I understand a bit about investment management, as I took a graduate course in it and got an A. I have been reading the WSJ for more than 40 years.

I can read and understand financial information, I just do not want to take the time (nor do I have the temperament) to manage my own investments. The firm I am with has hundreds of professionals in their research department. They do more work than I have hours in the day.

You are entitled to your opinion. My information I have shared here is not to convince you. It is to share insight for others to improve their understanding.

There are no risk free decisions to decide to put your money. That is why the federal law requires every investment manager to put that disclaimer in. There is a risk in loss of your money in stocks, in bonds, in mutual funds. There is a high probability of gains.

There is an almost certainty of loss doing what my grandmother did, putting cash under her unmentionables in her chest of draws. It is called inflation.

I have spoken factual information. Most investment managers do not beat the market averages. There are a few percent that really truly do, over the long haul. Theirs is not random coin flips and chance. Theirs is based on profound research and insights. That is rare. When you find them, take advantage of them. Be cautious there are plenty of “slick used car salesmen” out there. Sort through those to find the few that actually do better than an index fund, over the long haul.