View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 01:44 PM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Section Eight View Post
Serious question to the group.

What are we going to do when vaccines become a requirement? There’s a lot of chest pounding and anti vaccine rhetoric on the B&G but ill ask this question anyway.

The Hong Kong layovers are gone, for now. While the EB worked very, very hard to change this, in the end it was the HKG government that forced the change. Anyone setting foot into HKG for a layover that was not vaccinated was subject to a 21 day quarantine(if I read that correctly) that was simply not feasible, at this point.

So, are we going to protect the scope, or the right to choose vaccine or no vaccine? It’s serious question I think we ought to start pondering. Brown will go back to HKG for MX, and they will do whatever they can to reduce costs. I too believe that the CCP would like nothing more than to oust us from our slots and I’m sure they’d give our benevolent employer a “deal” on the flying with the “party” carriers. Anyone that’s been watching knows we don’t do anything like this to their pilots when they enter our country (mandatory quarantine) Hell, I dint think we even test them….

Think about where this may be headed and what choices we might be faced with. Do we protect the job or do we fight over the vaccine? Because I don’t think we can do both, but I hope I’m wrong. This could get very very ugly pretty fast.

Irregardless of your personal position on the vaccine, we may have some very hard choices to make.

YMMV,

Carry on…..
My personal opinion is that the company should not insist on crews vaccinating. However, I do think it’s fair for the company to refuse to pay protect trips for those who refuse to comply with the health entry requirements of the countries we fly into. At the end of the day, the company either makes the boxes move or goes belly up, but we don’t want them to subcontract our flying out. We want the company to succeed so we get paid, but we don’t want the company dictating healthcare decisions to us. It’s outside their control if sovereign nations choose to dictate healthcare choices for those who seek entry. It will certainly be a delicate dance