Old 08-26-2021, 09:54 PM
K4orBust
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2021
Thumbs up Interviewed Today

I was part of the interview group today. 17 pilots total. Rough breakdown was:
4 Regional Pilots
1 Corporate
6+ International Heavy (Emirates, Cathay, Qatar, Air Japan, etc)
5 + Domestic Cargo (National, Western Global, etc)
All had Boeing time except Regional/corporate and one Emirates Captain.

My opinion is the real interview takes place in the group waiting to be officially interviewed.(ie the briefing/question time with the pilot recruiters.)
It is a very laid back atmosphere and you are encouraged to ask any question you may have. I felt most answers given were unvarnished and truthful. The only "dodge" I saw was in reference to the local MEC and in fairness they said the union rep would present his/her pitch during Indoc. They really want to hire you so show some interest and you should be fine. The official interview with DFO (Bill) and HR (Laurie) is short and straight forward. 5-10 minutes max and expect at least 1 "curve ball" about your CV/application. No technical questions as they assume you know what you are doing and you will come out with a feeling of "did I pass?" That seemed to be the consensus. I have a some what respectable CV and was highly impressed by the caliber of applicants I saw today. It's good that they are still skimming cream with their recruiting.

As for the Compass exam the best things to study are basic algebra (manual long division) x and y equations, the Multi-tasking PFD sim and the short term memory quiz (paper can be used to record the numbers). No formulas other than percentages and Time/Speed/Distance. ATP questions were slightly skewed towards European ops (ie Kgs and 1 geographical weather question). Most questions referred to universal aviation philosophy.

In summary, be polite to ALL, be yourself, and be honest but remember you are always being watched. This was one of the best overall interview processes I've been through and look forward to joining the team!

P.S. No masks were required and everyone wore a full suit the whole time even though the room got a little warm. [First world problem ]