View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 03:20 PM
CaptYoda
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

I think it depends a lot on if it's a renewal versus initial, your SI condition, and the provided documentation. They will not budge on what they require and in the correct format. It's normal to take 3 months for an initial SI issue. Some conditions and new medications have a waiting period. Do call them weekly and ask them to email you any letters or other requirements. In my most recent case, they sent me a letter requesting an additional test, which took over two weeks to get to me. Luckily, I was in touch with my RFS (Regional Flight Surgeon) office who told me about it and sent me a copy. So I did the test two days after the letter was sent (without having actually received the letter in the mail). I took my exam on the 13th, sent one test result on the 21st via overnight mail, medical was issued on the 26th via email along with SI authorization letter. So 13 days for me. I have found my experience with CAMI and the RFS to be very helpful and professional. There is a wealth of information in the FAA AME guide that lists protocols and has lot's of guidance materials that can come in handy. Your AME should be the main person guiding you through this but you can help your case tremendously by being well informed. Also for SI, find an AME who has experience in handling SI.

And regarding the Airman Registry. Don't rely on it. It showed that I had a medical 24 hrs after my examination which was incorrect. The RFS said that it does happen on occasion. The only sure way of knowing is when you have one in your possesson.

Last edited by CaptYoda; 08-27-2021 at 03:39 PM.