View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Sky_Bound

Default Keeping the Dream alive.

Well,
I've decided to become a pilot but not through DCA.
Not that I found out anything wrong or bad with them.
When making the final decision and looking at the reality of everything for my specific situation other options became more attractive.

I had been holding off telling the whole family until all hurdles were overcome.
After my Class 1 med I still couldn't bear to tell my sister and her kids.

But she's my older sister and often a sounding board for me.
I called her and let out the news of the possibility of DCA and then everything happened the way I knew it would.

She started crying and then she got me teared up as well.
Her response was much like everyone elses.
They love me, they want me to go after my dreams. They want what's good for me even at their loss, they want me to be happy.

So after that I got back here read some more replies I then sucked it up and made my decision.

Be a pilot but do it here ( LAS)
I called First Flight ( which was recommended by the FAA Doc) knowing they do PPL.
They are also part of Pilot Career Foundation so I can use my funding source to pay for the training through commercial.

Part of my decision was also that I want specific domiciles after completion of training even for a lower pay rate.
DCA is a direct regional program and honestly I may or should say might have had to pass the buck on those to get my preferred domicile.
So if I'm going to take a more entry level job then why put out all that time and cash for something I might not need right away.

DCA has you flying 8 - 12 months as an instructor to build time ( like many others) so I could do the same here or look up one of the Airlines others have suggested.
(Which I had checked out on the internet for req's and hirings) thanks all

So when I called the missus to let her know she said she was relieved and that it made her happy.

She said she didn't realize just how much she was feeling that this wasn't something we shouldn't do until she felt the relief of me telling her we were staying put. ( move, DCA and all)

The rest of the family is very happy too.
The losses we've endured over the last year are just a bit too much for seperating ways even for 2 years.

I'm relieved too and still happy and excited about flying.
Heck $15/ hr canyon running or banner towing still beats a lot of other jobs out there !

Thanks for all the replies mates !!
This is why I came here for some of my research.
To get a finger on the pulse of pilots and not sales pitches.

Thank you for you're brutal honesty.
I'm glad that you all cared enough to give it even with the anonymity of the internet.

Oh yeah I'll also be able to start flying in a couple weeks instead of having to wait for October's class to start !