View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 10:34 AM
paulcg77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by BFMthisA10 View Post
Not many, if any at all actually. I know this is something we tell ourselves to get over the motivational hump, or a bedtime story that leadership tells fencesitters to get them moving, but in this case, common sense really is reality.
In the civilian world, other than pathological academic types, pursuing an advanced degree starts with “what for?”, and if the benefit justifies the cost (management, diversify skills for lost medical, starting a business, etc). Then they just pony up and get it because it makes sense. Believe me, I get it, I was where you are and strangely it made sense at the time.
This all coming from a passed over retired 04, so yeah, younger folks, I do recommend to go get your AAD and get promoted! 😏
But you don’t have to drink the blue kool aid fairy tales.
I mean, I agree with rickair, but I guess it also depends on what you use the TA/paid educational billet for. I got a free MBA from a top 10 school. My wife, also active duty, got her master's in nursing and became a nurse anesthetist, which is something you can only do with a master's in nursing or a doctorate. We're both significantly more employable in the civilian world now and if I ever do get out of aviation for whatever reason (read: medical, furlough, etc), that MBA is going to be more than a "what for". And not because of the piece of paper it's on, but because of the alumni networking/job opportunities that I wouldn't otherwise have. An MBA itself is nothing special but simply having a career/jobs office that goes out of its way to connect alumni/grads with good jobs is huge. Pretty sure most civilian pilots would appreciate this opportunity to have a free degree without a mountain of debt if/when the 121 music stops, so yeah, if you're military, don't take this for granted.