View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 05:44 AM
Duffman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by send a check View Post
You got so bored you came back over here.

Actually flow is to be based on attrition so my assumption was wrong. It’s not based on hiring. So my post and your response are meaningless.

But you don’t have it straight. I don’t advocate lying. However I am amused by people’s hatred of a job they can leave at anytime. If flow had increased due to hiring then those who hate this place would be here for longer and not a shorter time if they drove applicants away.

But it’s an invalid point now!

There are a few things I disagree with here.

1) we can't just up and leave without significant consequences (lateral career progression on interviews, losing seniority, etc), and the company knows that. Most of us came here during a different time where we worked harder than our peers in exchange for a guaranteed job at the majors after a 5 year stint. Right now, we work harder in exchange for nothing special. I don't count a $30k bonus with a 3 year commitment, after upgrade, at the beginning of the largest non-military hiring binge in history as 'special.' Same for the flow bonuses, especially if you passed up other opportunities.

2) The company won't pay us more or increase quality of life out of the goodness of their hearts; they'll do it when supply/demand makes it necessary in order to keep the airline staffed (either recruitment or retention). It's pretty much impossible for a 1,500 hour CFI to understand how the contract will affect their lives on the line. All they understand is hourly pay rate and bonuses. By pointing out the issues, it educates pilots who are being recruited, and if it's a bad deal, they won't take it, which will hopefully lead to meaningful changes to our pay and quality of life to entice people to come here (or stay instead of bolting to LCCs). It's not like PDT is struggling to remain profitable, it's that PDT is always trying to find ways to reduce costs and now they're reluctant to adjust their expectations to increase costs to be on regional parity. It's not about sinking the boat we're on. It's the opposite. It's about bringing attention to issues that are fixable. That's the problem with "if it ain't broke, why fix it." By the time things break, they're usually much more costly and difficult to fix.