View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 08:59 AM
C2078
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2019

Originally Posted by Dizzy12 View Post
Where’s your commute from?
CLT
Tough one. Commuting makes a big difference. The big difference will be the pension. Assuming $4,800 FDA when you retire x 13 years = $62,400 for the rest of your life (assuming single annuity). And if you upgrade at year 5, which is realistic, add another $100k per year over AA NB Captain pay. So money wise and benefits, UPS wins by the time you retire. But QOL, AA will win.

No fun being junior again, however, AA has shown to be ruthless when the chips are down (not that UPS wouldn’t do the same but while not 100% furlough proof, definitely more stable). I have been a debbie downer on UPS, in all fairness, it is a very good job, and ignoring corporate culture, ‘cause I don’t think AA is any better, do not discard back side of the clock flying. While we do have a fair amount of day flying, you will be flying a lot of back side first couple of years. When you are on north side of 50, your body does not hold up as well as before.

Another advice I give everyone that wants to come here, be sure you are able to sleep well during the day. That has never been a problem for me, but not easy for everyone.

As far as your commute, we have weekday morning and evening flights CLT-SDF, and afternoon, late night SDF-CLT plus AA to supplement, so I can’t imagine being a difficult commute.

Good luck, it is nice to have options.