Thread: Forum software
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 09:06 PM
TransWorld
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Originally Posted by ThatOneAviator View Post
I gave a quick glance at the bottom and saw vBulletin Version 3! vBulletin has tons of exploits, even with the most current version 5, along with just being outdated. The main forum style does not carry over into the reply/settings page and just being clunky in the back end. What about upgrading to XenForo, or maybe Phpbb if you can't afford XenForo and having an identical theme made. XenForo does allow you to import from vBulletin and many other forum softwares. Sooner or later it will bite you in the ass that you stuck around on vBulletin v3 (trust me I've learned the hard way about technical debt).
A word of caution for those who run the system. Then need to test an upgrade well in an offline environment before rolling it out to everyone.

Secondly, please, please, please notify users that it is going to happen in advance (at least a week or two). Then provide a hints or “how to get back in from out on the ledge”. We had several, myself included, in this last significant roll out who felt we were out on the ledge and had done something seriously wrong. I was about ready to jump off the cliff and have to abandon the forum altogether.

Thanks!