View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 06:42 AM
crewdawg

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by hockeypilot44 View Post
Junior captain holding 50 percent or better in category at any base except NYC. It'll make your cry when you realize how senior you have to be. Narrow it to Atlanta. You'll realize ATL 717 captain 50 percent is around 4000 on list and ATL 320 captain is around 2900 on list. To me, 50 percent is as low as I'm willing to personally go due to quality of life issues as a commuter. Spending an entire career as a junior ***** is no way to go through life.

I'm now a big believer in that statement, especially on the NB side. I didn't mind being 90% on a WB as long as I could hold a line, because I could almost always dump my trips and pick up more efficient trips on days I wanted. However, it was almost impossible to get holidays off and I couldn't plan stuff more than a few weeks in advance. On the NB side of things, I don't think I'd want to be less than top 3rd in seat, especially with the crappy trips we have right now. In October, I even saw the number 2 guy on reserve (number 9 in seat) got a weekend coverage day. I've also seen the number 1 guy get coverage on reserve, which is whole other discussion on why our reserve work rules need some attention.

Originally Posted by Trip7 View Post
For me holding a line is the key. So much more flexibility holding a line vs reserve.
Certainly lots more flexibility with a line, but as a friend who is a perpetual reserve bidders says...the problem is you actually have to go fly those trips .