View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 10:34 AM
NBuck
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2021

I think it really boils down to what your end goal is. That is VERY important to determine before you choose a fight school. There are a million and one flight schools out there that offer you the same things, in a different manner. At the end of the day, a green FAA license is a green FAA license...right?

Well...that might not be 100% true if you're of the professional pilot mindset. If you're basing your training around being a career pilot vs. a leisure pilot, there are some things that you should take into strong consideration. Does the flight school have direct airline partnerships? Do they place safety at the top of their priority list? Do they have the resources to keep you in the air, such as; on site maintenance/parts? What kind of internal support system do they offer? What is their course syllabus like? Will you be assigned a mentor outside of your CFI? What other resources/SOPs do they take directly from airline operations and incorporate into the flight school? All of these are important questions to ask/confirm before you go spending your time and money on a mistake. Don't get me wrong...there are guys & girls out there who go the old school, civil "part 61 route" and eventually ended up landing a professional pilot job...BUT...If you can be immersed in that professional/airline pilot environment early on, it's going to make a difference when you start knocking on doors asking for a job. Not all programs are the same, and not all schools offer what you need.

Are you going to pay a little more at one of these 141 schools? Probably.
Do you want to go the cheapest school with something as serious as flight training? No.
Do you want to make significant professional connections as early as possible in your career? Absolutely.
Are all flight schools created equal? Absolutely not.

To combat these facts, you would need to go directly to the major airline's recruiting/management teams (like SWA, AA, United, and JetBlue) and ask them; Why do you run specific, partnered cadet programs for your "zero to hero" pilot training. I would assume you'll receive a two word answer; Quality control.

It's also super important to go visit these schools in person. If you'll be investing so much time/money...why wouldn't you?! Ask to talk to the instructors, and the cadets currently in training! They'll tell you everything, and then some.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Genuinely hope this helps someone!