Old 10-05-2021, 05:33 PM
DontLookDown
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

I’m a paid firefighter as well so I empathize with this tough decision.

I think you want a definitive “Yes, you’re making the right choice,” but you won’t get that.

Flying the same scheduled routes will never be as fulfilling as saving people and will ultimately become boring.

You’ll be overnighting with new crews often. You might get along with some of them, but firefighters have core qualities in common that make it easy for us all to become friends. It seems cabin crews are much more diverse and less likely to click. Firefighting can feel like hanging out with your best friends. Flying, you’ll likely spend a majority of your time alone in a hotel.

Even the best hotel gym will lack the kind of workout equipment you likely have at your firehouse. Getting paid to workout is one of my favorite parts of the job. We also take turns cooking, so every shift I get a great dinner. You’ll prob spend less time eating good and working out when you’re a pilot. More time sitting around eating fast food.

My wife doesn’t mind being home alone all night while I’m on shift. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I’m literally 2 miles away. If something went bump in the night and she really needed me, I’d be there. If I was 10 hours away and she called me screaming help, she’s on her own.

I’m hesitant to pursue the airlines and I don’t even make half your salary. I know if I stay my current path id likely leave several million dollars on the table over the course of the next 30 years (I’m 32).

That all being said, you obviously have the passion for flying. I think you owe it to yourself to give a try. You’ve set yourself up well to minimize the risk. If flying ends up not being all you hoped it would be, perhaps you could get back on with your department down the road. Just be sure to leave on good terms.