View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 05:21 PM
flyinthrew
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2019

Originally Posted by Wolf424 View Post
Glad all your vast experience at Delta is being put to good use, and you’ve determined the 717 isn’t a great choice.

Couple notes on your assumptions.

Don’t assume anything. Just because you think you should be able to bid to the base you want, doesn’t mean you will for certain. Learn the phrase “we didn’t think they would do that”. Lots of guys assumed when they bid to the 320 that they’d be Boston based by now. A lot of 220 guys in SLC thought they’d have much better seniority in the long term until SEA opened.

The 73N bid packet is arguably worse or equivalent to the 717. All the NB fleets are picking up the old maddog routes (By my quick glance, didn’t look at the 320). You think all those sweet transcons and resort all inclusive are going to drop to your level of seniority? Another rule to learn…don’t bid aircraft based on layovers.

320 is obviously growing. 737 is getting a few extra “gently used” aircraft. JL just said that the 717 is going to be around a lot longer than some people think (and it’s consolidating to mostly ATL, much bigger than it was pre covid when there was a MSP and NYC, in addition to DTW and ATL).

If you live in ATL, you’ll be spending that 1K on a crash pad, taxis, hotels, metro passes, etc. Add up the additional time away from home…there’s a lot more to consider than “an extra 1,000”. Much cheaper to be an ATL commuter than an NYC commuter.

There’s a reason it’s going senior and guys are taking the bird in the hand, knowing they will be in ATL. (If that’s what they want) Plus, lots of extra pilots means lots of extra reserves available, which means more pay to do less.

Bottom line, be careful about the “blind leading the blind”. I don’t think you’re being nefarious in giving your advice, but there’s so much abnormal stuff going on with regards to our still open AEs, I wouldn’t assume anything.
That is all entirely valid and fair, to include the point that I’m licking the windows at the bottom of the list with everyone else. I’m simply giving another viewpoint that I think is at least valid. I think that unless the music stops again that bidding the lowest
paying seat in the company just to be in base is an ok strategy, but there is a better one if you can handle NYC for a few months.