View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 06:19 PM
MaydayMark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

I've experienced very bad support from GOC when running low on fuel while holding since our "Fuel Sense" program started.

Just as one example, I was given a new alternate even FURTHER away after I explained that I no longer had enough fuel to get to the original alternate. I diverted to a non-fedex station and broke down there. BIG hassle!

Another example ... I was dispatched to an airport that was notam'd closed at my arrival time for an airshow. Field (one of normal destinations) was notam'd PPR (prior permission required) during the airshow. I ACAR'd GOC and asked ****. They sent back, "Yeah, yeah ... we know. All fedEx airplanes have PPR. Takeoff as scheduled." Well, I arrived at my destination and Center said the field is closed expect to hold. I ACAR'd GOC again and and them to PHONE the tower. They said, "I told you on the ground before you took off that all FedEx airplanes have PPR." I decided to just divert instead of fixing GOC's problem for them.

In short ... if we're going to get dispatched with less and less fuel, I'll have no choice but to just divert when we reach our diversion fuel. I would like to be able to be more flexible but "fuel sense" is taking many of our options away. I wonder how many diversions we have to make before it blows the ENTIRE FUEL SENSE fuel savings out of the water???