View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 07:37 PM
cons
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Gammon89 View Post
Hi, this discussion is mostly for any recruiters or other people in the know on here but other participants are welcome and comment appreciated.

I’m getting closer to my ATP mins and want to start planning for my career and have some security and hopefully have a smooth transition after reaching the mins.

I currently have a third class medical, and for reasons that are not worth getting into, I’m waiting for the FAA to get back to me about my upgrade to first class.

My question is this…. What is the likelihood of me receiving any call backs/interviews/job offers if I have a third class medical. I have every expectation of getting the first class, it’s just nothing the FAA does to help a pilot moves quickly.

Thanks in advance
I have heard of applicants apply for airline jobs without a 1st class medical, with the ability to obtain a first class medical as required. Many 135 operations require only a 2nd class, CFIs only need a 3rd class, thus they didn't have a 1st class medical at the time of applying for the airline job. Some airline apps ask about your current medical class, and if it is not a 1st class, then they will ask if you have the ability to obtain a 1st class. However, since you currently do not have the ability to obtain a 1st class medical, you would not be qualified for a pilot position at an airline. Thus, until you actually have the ability to obtain a 1st class medical, I personally wouldn't apply. Just keep hounding the FAA, AME, flight surgeon, OKC, or whomever you're dealing with to get back to you on this ASAP. GL