View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 07:00 PM
DoNoHarm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Imapylot View Post
Can both packs be on MEL with passengers? I don’t feel like looking it up right now. The author of the article doesn’t really know what was wrong with the plane so I’m just assuming both packs were inop. I’m also assuming that no FA or CA would knowingly and voluntarily admit to the press that a flight was unsafe. I’m guessing the author is putting words into their mouths to some degree and I’m assuming the company will see it that way, too. Neither the FA nor the CA will get fired as long as they tell the company and the FAA that they did not tell the author that the flight was unsafe. Air Wis is happy the flight was completed so they could get paid. How would the flight have ever even left the gate if it was not airworthy or if it were operating under an MEL that didn’t allow passengers? Nobody is getting fired. Or, the CA and FO are getting fired along with a few MX folks and a few dispatch folks. There’s a 95% chance nobody did anything wrong and this author just wants to put out an attention grabbing shock article that makes United and Air Wis look like the bad guys.
Depending on which MEL's you choose to allow (the extremes) and which supplemental procedures you are authorized for, there are all kinds of crazy things that are "legal" to do in a CRJ.

No packs with RAM air only is allowed if you follow the procedure according to the manufacturer and FAA. Same thing with landing gear pinned down flights with passengers.

Single engine takeoffs are technically allowed per the "BRAD" (Bombardier Reference Manual), but no passengers, obviously. Buddy-starts are also allowed with high pressure hoses between airplanes with one supplying high pressure air to start the other one.

Should any of these be done? Absolutely not. But you technically can do them legally.