View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Eric Stratton
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
What about giving the DAL guys credit for their retirements in 10 years, when the DAL retirements not only match, but EXCEED the NWA retirements. When making the "we have more retirements argument" the time frame of the argument is critical.

Each month a pilot's seniority number changes, so here's an idea. Merge the two lists together now by a ratio. If you are at NWA or Delta at 50%, you are at 50% at Delta. When a former NWA pilot retires, all NWA move up one. When a former Delta pilot retires, all Delta move up one number. Over next 5 years, the NWA guys would gain ground on a relative seniority basis. At some point between 5-10 years, the Delta guys gain ground and actually move ahead.

It's a simple plan that I could administer on a PDA spreadsheet. It protects seniority on both sides and isn't a windfall to either side. It's 100% fair from day one to year 30. Nobody moves initially and each group takes advantage of their pre merger retirement expectations. Put up a couple 2-5 year fences and everyone is happy. Now can we get on with this merger and start making some money.
well then I think nwa management should just offer a lump sum buy out to the pilots that want to go, increase hiring to back fill the loss of pilots and then do a ratio like the delta pilots want. this of course would have to happen before the merger date...

one flaw with your plan that I can see. if the nwa pilots moved up more quickly in the next 10 years could they not grab the captain slots that open up and prevent openings in the future when deltas retirements kick in...