View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

[quote=capncrunch; I will tell you this, if we wait until the retirements go through and then merge the lists, I would be a lot better off in ten years than I would be today.

Just as important is the question "If the deal does not go through altogether will you be better of in 10 years?" Apparantly some NW Pilots think the answer to this question is no, but from what I am hearing its too late - who knows? What the hell is ALPA Watch anyway?

Scoop

Northwest pilots hold out hope for Delta deal

By JIM THARPE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/28/08

A group of Northwest Airlines pilots was still holding out hope Thursday that a merger with Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines is possible.

The group, ALPA Watch, posted a statement on its Web site updating pilots on merger talks between Delta and Northwest to create the world's largest airline.

The talks are apparently on hold as leaders of the unions for the carriers' 11,000 pilots attempt to work out how their seniority lists would be combined under a single carrier.

"Seniority list integration remains the sticking point," according to a merger update posted on the Web site for the ALPA Watch, a group that says it monitors the Air Line Pilots Association unit for Northwest pilots. "However, it is still possible that this issue can be worked out, thus providing a good deal for all, NWA(Northwest) and DAL(Delta).

"That would be best because failure to do so will probably mean a great loss of economic opportunity for all. For now, stay informed, and as the messages from our leaders say, be patient."

The Associated Press, citing a person with knowledge of the situation, also reported Thursday that Northwest pilots continue to seek a solution to the stalled talks with Delta pilots, and that they're not under a line to make a deal.

The ALPA Watch Web site does not elaborate, and pilots connected with the site declined comment in a telephone interview.

ALPA Watch describes itself as "a grassroots organization created by everyday NWA line-pilots for the purpose of helping NWA ALPA restore the fair compensation, quality of life, the future, and the dignity of all NWA Pilots. ALPAWatch is here to make certain that the NWA ALPA leadership focuses on its primary responsibility, 'To protect and enhance the careers of Northwest Airlines Pilots.' "

The ALPA Watch posting comes as the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Thursday that the pilots unions for the two airlines have not met since Feb. 21.

The two carriers have apparently agreed to major provisions of a merger, but want to get pilots on board before finalizing an agreement. The merger could proceed without a pilots' agreement, but labor problems have helped derail proposed airline mergers in the past.