Thread: Delta or United
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 04:59 PM
IFlyNFish
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by Cougs View Post
I’d love to hear your thoughts… Delta was my #1 choice, but by the time they called, I was wrapping up training at United. I’ve got a Delta interview scheduled for a month from now, but I’m not sure what I should do. Frankly, I’ve been really impressed by United thus far. For my family, the domiciles are a push - no preference either way, so it really comes down to pay, opportunities, stability, etc.

United has more WB flying (a hell of a lot more. I could hold 787/777 FO in multiple bases as a brand new guy). They seem to be aggressively trying to capture market, grow, and fix their culture and I was impressed by what I saw during training. Their strikes are poor reserve rules, financial stability, and lower profit sharing.
Delta has a better reputation and financials, much better reserve rules, and healthy profit sharing. What they don’t have is nearly the WB fleet/opportunities, or the pilot seniority that I’ll enjoy at United. I should also mention that because United called so early and their biggest retirement numbers are in the future, I’ll always have about a 1000 seniority advantage at United over Delta (according to the retirement charts).

It’s a good problem to have, but I want to make the decision with eyes wide open and try to get it right. I’d be interested in thoughts from guys with major experience, because I have none!

Key word, opportunities. Never get wrapped up wth profit sharing.

Not a UAL guy, but they’ve made bigger headwinds toward improving their product the last few years compared to anyone.

follow the opportunities for the best career gamble.