View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 02:59 AM
FangsF15
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by S4User View Post
Newbie here and trying to understand SC vs LC. Forgive me if this answer is hidden somewhere above.

SC: be within 2 hours of the airport. Does this time depend on domicile? I assume people either live locally or use a crash pad/hotel if they have to commute.

LC: 12 hour window. Does this mean the airline gives you a minimum 12 hour notice so you can commute to domicile if called? If so, what happens if you get call at say, 8pm for an 8am flight, but all flights from your home airport are done for the day? Are you SOL?

Also, how long are you typically on reserve as a NH?

Is this a correct assessment between each type of reserve? Looking to see how feasible it would be to live away from domicile.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
You will hear this a lot, but SC is not 2 hours, it is “reasonably available”. While it’s generally agreed that 2 hours is about right, traffic in any domicile, or weather may extend that beyond 2 hours. It is intentionally vague. Safely report as prompt as your reasonably can.

LC: that is correct. 12 hours minimum. That’s a firm time. The company expects you to report in 12 hours, so if you have a ‘dead zone’, they expect you to position yourself in a place where 12 hours is feasible. In practical terms, that mid-evening call is very rare, You will almost always have 18+ hours notice, but nevertheless, it is possible to get the 12:01 callout.

Getting a line depends on the fleet, I wouldn’t expect to be stuck on reserve very long with all the hiring we are doing. 6 months or less is very plausible for the bottom line holder. Good luck!

Last edited by FangsF15; 11-15-2021 at 03:16 AM.