Old 11-17-2021, 09:50 AM
fasteddie800
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by gcap View Post
Grandson wants to fly! He is a freshman at a college in Boston (business) now but wants to do what I have done for the last 55 years!
He has flown with me in the Challenger and the Global and watched my airline career for most of his life.
He is also a superb athlete and might be able to get some scholarship money (soccer and basketball).
I welcome any and all ideas!!
Couple things:

- Grandson doesn't have to necessarily jump to a 4-year school with an aviation program. Can start out by just taking some lessons and getting his feet wet. Maybe he'll want to continue, maybe he wont.

- If he does decide to make the leap, one thing you can do is make sure he takes into account the male/female ratio at whatever school he's looking at. Focusing on grades and schoolwork is important, but you can't study every waking moment. You typically only get to experience undergraduate schooling once, might as well do it at a school where you might actually have a social life. Known more than one person who went to a school with 90+ percent guys, and regretted the limitations it put on their social life.