View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 09:49 AM
BLAHBLAHBLAH
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015

Originally Posted by StayFrosty View Post
I’m a 5 year guy and won’t lie, thoughts have crossed my mind. I think I’m on the back side of the curve and it’s not financially prudent to start over (nor can I afford to be a new hire again). Also this industry is fickle and can change on you like the runways in Denver and what’s great yesterday or today might not be tomorrow. This is a long game with no fundamentals to help you make decisions.

I had great expectations for leadership to bring us out of the pandemic, 9/11 style. That didn’t happen. I never would have imagined they would look inward and get this funky with its own people. We fizzled on the pandemic rebound and we showed our people they aren’t number one. Awful and no excuse!

That’s done so now is the time to rethink and rebuild. Will it be done? How will new leadership be? Will relations change? When will we get an industry leading contract? When will we have answers on growth and a future beyond the B737? When will we update a very stale product and poor service? These are but a few questions any new hire (and employee) has to ask. SWA wants everyone to feel that they they are lucky to be here. Does SWA feel lucky that I’m here? How about if you are?

So how about some positives? I’m happy at work. I enjoy the time spent with pilots I work with. I enjoy the conversations, insights, and sometimes differing opinions. I’m paid well based on the amount of flying I do, which is greater than my line by a good margin (yes I try to be smart). I have what I consider a good amount of days off and a healthy QOL with family, hobbies, and outside activities. When I’m off, I’m off! I’ve never missed an important day, holiday or vacation with family which means the world to me.

I guess what I’m trying to say, I’m still more happy than not happy. Could I be “better off” elsewhere? Possibly. We could have another “once in a lifetime” black swan event and I could end up being the smartest guy in the room. Anyone good at tarot cards? I really hope we make this place great again! I’m keeping the faith in my peers and SWAPA that this place will be made great.

What amount of money or days off makes it worth it? I’m not sure of the answers but anyone is invited to my porch at 65 and we can compare notes over a beer then!

Happy to answer questions privately if it helps anyone make a decision.

Fly safe everyone!
This guy would be happy anywhere.

Its a state of mind, not a destination.