Old 11-21-2021, 12:28 PM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Steverin06 View Post
I am an active duty pilot at Randolph and started a 6 month Skillbridge with a flight school on Nov 1. I was able to curtail 109 days of my UPT ADSC based on a Director of Ops job offer from the school. To sweeten the deal for the AF (they probably wouldn't have let me go 6 months prior without this), I still fly as an IFF IP twice a week to stay current/proficient in the jet for my transition to the reserves. I was 200 hours short of 1500 (plan is airlines) when I decided to separate and get real hours at a flight school rather than .8 at a time in the T-38. High flyer at the school gets ~150 a month. I've never gotten even close to that in an entire year as a fighter pilot.

I have been learning 6 different airplanes, and it's quite a bit of information. Cirrus SR-20/22/22T, TBM 850, Seneca II (Which I just got R-ATP via MIL2ATP - HIGHLY recommend) and a DA-42. The longer you stay at the company, generally the more you can expect they'll invest in you. There's a few other skillbridge bros here but they are in/out = not getting trained in the TBM. The job offer is a fantastic backup if the majors don't call.

I could only get an MEI-I from my MCI, so sooner than later I will need to get a CFI topoff. Right now I get good flying just flying around fractional owners in the cirrus/tbm. I talked to a CFI bro who is an IP at Seymour, working part-time at mil2atp - the CFI topoff can be challanging depending on what maneuvers the DPE asks of you.

Regarding the CFI topoff check. My understanding is that the best route is to add single engine ATP to your multi ATP(one checkride), than take the check for adding your single engine CFI. I would strongly recommend talking to your DPE ahead of time so there are no surprises. There is very little actually required for both checks which maybe why some DPEs feel the need to add random stuff.