View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 05:03 AM
Clue32
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 767 FO
Default AFib

Dear Pilot Strangers of the Internet,

I've been on a SI for AFib since 2017. It has been managed with meds and monitored, but this summer my Holter was finally out of whack. I did a Cardiac Ablation in August and just visited my AME / Cardiologist to try and get my First Class back.

The past few months have been... well, I could use a variety of adjectives but I would likely then digress from the purpose of my post. That is to say, ask questions and take charge of the situation you've unfortunately found yourself in. I have been inexplicably fortunate in finding Doctors and medical professionals that truly cared and bent over backwards to help, but this situation could have been significantly more challenging.

First, above all else, comes personal health. Living a long life is more important than flying. Get scheduled quickly, because it could be 4 to 6 weeks or more before you can get the procedure. There is a 90 day recovery after an Ablation, so waiting for second opinions or doing additional tests like a 30 day monitor before getting on the hospitals calendar not only delays a return to flight, it also extends the period where a serious medical emergency could occur. The question to ask is, how do I get healthy now? It is easier to cancel a procedure than schedule one.

Second, make sure all the tests to get back flying are scheduled. I was told after 90 days I needed a holter. No big deal, but after waiting 3 months for that test I was told I also needed a sleep study. It is nearly impossible to schedule one on short notice, the day before Thanksgiving, and the stress shouldn't have had to be endured. The question to ask here is, what tests do the FAA instructions dictate I need to complete once my 90 day recovery passes? Don't go by someones word or your current SI letter. New medical procedures can lead to changes to you SI letter.

If anyone is dealing with AFib, I am happy to offer advice, encouragement, or just a friendly ear.

Thanks for humoring me by reading my rant. I am hopeful that the FAA has my paperwork by the end of next week and I can get back to flying soon.