View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 04:36 AM
Web265
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017
Position: ERJ-170

Originally Posted by thomaskies View Post
I searched older threads but still have some specific questions. I’m European looking to select an online college for a Bachelor’s degree (Aviation), while trying receive max credits for previous studies/experience. Priority being fast completion time and total cost, these are the institutions I’m currently considering: Liberty, UVU, Texas A&M, ERAU Online, TESU, Florida Tech, UND.

I have attended virtual information sessions and 1-on-1 meetings and have gotten some of my questions answered but some places haven’t been so helpful. What I do receive from every institution is almost daily spam email. Some questions:

1) Every place keeps saying “apply now for 50$”. This seems to be the only way in finding out how many credits I will actually receive (some offer unofficial free consultation prior). Is there an obligation / contract after applying? In other words, can I apply to 3 different colleges and then pick the most suitable and not be stuck with 3 tuition fees?

2) Do the transcripts along with the Foreign Credential Evaluation (FCE) need to be sent prior application deadline in general or can they be finished later (prior program start/early on in the program)? The FCE process has quite a long turnaround time.

3) Can these online programs in general be completed at your own pace (and be finished sooner) / do they have a set schedule you need to stick with?

This is something a 21-month (and counting) furlough with 0-pay (no CARES Act here) motivate you to do. Don’t suggest to get an degree “in anything but aviation” as I won’t: FAA ATP, 1 year of foreign college and 14 EASA ATPL subjects will hopefully knock off 2+ years off of these degrees. I’ve been lucky enough to been busy in business aviation this pandemic and plan to survive the next one too without a non-aviation degree. I’m just looking to check the degree mark to have more opportunities in the near future. I’ll also be financing the studies myself as it’s unlikely I’ll be eligible for any type of financial aid/scholarship (no GI bill here either) - thus the emphasis on max credit/minimum total cost. Thank you.
Not sure about all your parameters but have you looked at:
https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/av...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

They offer on line study (not sure if aviation degree is avail)
They offer a set number of credits for your aviation accomplishments to date( FAA ATP with a CPT course looks like 10 to me, + credit for your comm and inst depending on how long ago you took them)
They will allow you to submit past "life experience" from other careers and accomplishments to be considered for other credits.

Good Luck,