View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 10:49 AM
PurpleToolBox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by lancejohnson View Post
I'm considering jumping ship at 17 years and finishing out in the reserves in order to make a run at the majors.
-Obtaining a AD retirement in the reserves is most likely not an option for me.
-I'm a helo guy with 1000hrs of FW multiengine turbine. I may or may not be able to pick up another FW flying tour to finish out my 20 but would likely fly less than 500 hours during that tour.
-I'm way over active duty for the same reasons everyone is and should have gotten out earlier.
-Financially I have a low 7 figures in the bank and have young kids with a wife who works.
My concern with staying in:
-My main concern is putting up with 3 more years of crappy active duty QOL to then transition to the airlines on the backside of the wave in 2025 and then have crappy airline QOL due to low seniority.
My concerns with getting out:
-It ends up taking me 3 years to get to a major anyway with my current low FW hours
-COVID or another event disrupts hiring again.
Interested in hearing any and all perspectives. Thank you
I don't see the airline hiring landscape changing significantly in the next three years. Demand will be high at many airlines. I would stay in and get the active duty retirement. That will make the transition so much easier and it will change how you pick your airlines. No matter where you go you will have enough money. You should then pick airlines based on quality of life and the location you and your wife want to retire in. My two cents.