View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 10:33 PM
PRS Guitars
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by Galt1074 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to AAL and I'd like some input. I've got an interview scheduled later this week.
I'm currently a 737 FO for UAL and I was hired in August. I really love it here and I think the company is great BUT I live about 1.5hrs west of DFW and I never plan on moving. The idea of driving to work rather than commuting is more appealing every time I commute out here to our junior base in SFO.
I'd be giving up about 700 in seniority that I've already gained and I'll be somewhere around 60% in SFO next month already. I haven't had any problems commuting and I love the company but I'm envious of the idea of driving myself to work and being able to sit reserve from home instead of a crashpad. Being with AAL in DFW would give me a lot more flexibility...at least that's what I think.
I've talked to lots of folks I know and I've gotten the full spectrum of answers from "you're crazy to give up seniority and the UAL contract to go to AAL" all the way to "living where you work is a game-changer and you'll never regret it".
Anything you have would be helpful. Benefits differences, pass travel, future contract prospects, Quality of life, DFW seniority...anything.
So...what say you?
August hire? No brainer, go to AA, you can’t compare 700 under you to what you’ll have at AA, no way to know. DFW is rapidly becoming a JR base for NB CA’s. FO’s hold it within months. I had the opposite choice to make, but at the 1.5 year mark living in a UAL hub. I wasn’t for sure going to not move like you are. I chose to stay at AA, I’m fine with it, but with hindsight would have made a different decision. Honestly anything under 1 year, I would have bailed in a heart beat. Your situation, yeah AA. You live near our Mega base, and can easily sit SC reserve from home. I flew exactly zero hours last month on SC, though I did use some sick time.