View Single Post
Old 12-14-2021, 03:39 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by ColtF15 View Post

And in 1993 you HAD to retire at 60,
In 1993 the REGULATED age was 60, but there was no requirement to retire at Age 60. There still is no requirement to retire at age 60, or even 65. It's the REGULATED age, and you cannot occupy a front seat in Part 121 operations beyond the Regulated Age.

In 1993 we had 3-seat airplanes, and a pilot could become a Flight Engineer and continue to work until he could no longer pass a Medical Examination or a checkride. We had Flight Engineers working into their 80's. It was a choice to retire at Age 60 or train to become a Flight Engineer. Fast forward to today and we don't have any 3-seaters, so that option is gone. Still, it's not the age that forces the retirement, it's the lack of Flight Engineer jobs. Other airlines have 'em, but we don't.

Originally Posted by ColtF15 View Post

Nearly every Captain I have flown with has said something to the affect of “Why would I retire early? Now I have more vacation, more control of my schedule and make the most money? This is what I have been waiting for. If it goes to age 67, I’m stayin.”

Not a single one has said, “ yeah if only my retirement medical premium compensation was better you could be sitting here. “
I'll bet they haven't attended a retirement seminar.