View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 10:18 AM
Drum
Banned

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: 3+ hour sit in the ATL

Originally Posted by DenverPilot8 View Post
im with you on hoping for the best but I think you are misstating a few things here. It’s not “common cold” level yet. Everything I’ve read says that initial data is suggesting it’s slightly less severe than Delta. But there is a big difference between common cold and Delta. Also just purely statistically speaking even if less severe a virus that is 15 times more transmissible can actually kill more people and send more people to the hospital. That’s the unfortunate reality. Less dangerous on an individual level agreed but statistically way more people will get it. You’re right in that the general direction of viruses are to mutate to being less severe but this isn’t a guaranteed certainly. Not ALL viruses do that just most. Delta was shown to actually be slightly more severe than Alpha. Before I get attacked for fear mongering or whatever I’m just saying that specifically to what will happen with lock downs and all that I think you could see more of it purely based on higher hospitalization numbers. Not saying it WILL but it’s possible. Again just purely based on way more people getting it. I have come around to the thought however that lockdowns at this point are not worth it. I did see that they are already seeing a slight decline in cases in South Africa so hopefully this thing runs hot and fast and peters out. A few more waves and then yes I agree it becomes closer to the common cold