Thread: Psa new hire
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 06:12 PM
Cleared4appch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2021

Originally Posted by Macchi30 View Post
Not going to lie, these training stories are discouraging
I’m not even at the airlines yet, but I have an interview with them in January. Look, just hunker down each day and study really hard and you’ll be fine. Don’t listen to the horror stories too much. Should you listen to these people some? Eh, Kinda sorta, but not really. Take it with a grain of salt. There’s always 2 sides to the story. Anytime a student/applicant says this or that happened, you will almost always hear it from a different angle or perspective from the instructor. I remember in my pre CFI checkride days I kept listening too much to the ‘horror stories’ from people who failed, especially online about how they failed their ride because of ‘x’ reasons. This fear was kind of a good thing in that I studied harder, because I was determined not to fail. I studied my butt off for it, studied harder than I ever did in college, and passed. It was the easiest checkride I’ve ever done, and I credit the preparation I put into it. I’ve learned that the ones who talk up horror stories generally don’t study very much.

Not trying to compare the CFI ride to the ATP/type ride, because they’re 2 different animals, but hard work pays off anywhere in this business. If you don’t know something, ask your instructors. Demand that they work with you. Show up with questions each day. Show them you want it and want it badly. Tell yourself failure isn’t an option, and that you will push through it no matter what. Above all, just give it your absolute best. You owe it to yourself. And if you do fail, well, it’s something to learn from. If they give you the option to get hired on again after a failure or if you’re hired on somewhere else, take what you learned with you, and apply it there.