View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Herc130AV8R
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: C-130

First of all, that CFII/MEI stuff means nothing to the Air Force. Don't go in thinking you know more or have more experience than anyone else because you have a bunch of civilian hours. The instructors will crush you! It is good experience and will help you but you will not get special treatment and still go through the same program as a guy who has 40 hours.

Second, the Air Force aint just a flying club. We have other duties outside of flying that take up a majority of our time. Also, there are many other jobs for officers in the AF that have nothing to do with flying and there is no guarantee that you will get a pilot training slot. In that case you would have to do somthing else for a few years and then apply and meet a board.

If you really want to be in the Air Force and you have a few years of college left I would recommend joining ROTC and try to compete for a slot there. That is the best way to "get your feet wet" with what AF life will be like before signing your life over to "the man".

As for the eyesight thing, don't do anything to your eyes!! As long as you can correct to 20/20 with glasses/contacts you are fine. I wear glasses everytime I fly.

Not sure about asthma but if it's slight then you should be OK. It may disqualify you from flying so you may not want to tell them if you can hide it and don't need to be sucking on an inhaler every 5 minutes.

Good Luck!