View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 04:04 PM
tsimmns927
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Default Training cost question

I know I’ve always read don’t take out a loan for training, pay as you go, etc. my question is I basically have two options.
1. Pay around 50k to go from PPL to Commercial rated including all books, groundwork, instructor hours, etc. 189 hrs non complex time, 10 hrs of complex time, 390 hrs of instructor time and all 3 ground schools and books. I could finish this as fast as I could go and this flight school would be right down the road from me or
2. Use my GI BI, obtain all my ratings for basically free(although I’m at 90% post 9/1) so I’d be paying a small amount out of pocket for each rating and get it at Tarrant County College which would give me a 1250 R-ATP. They use US Aviation Academy in Denton TX which is about an hour and a half for me so for 2-3 days a week I’d be making that drive, then driving back to work my normal 8 hr a day job. Also, with the option I’d be getting an extra 1k a month or so from the GI bill for housing.

I know the 2nd option makes since, but I’d basically get one ratings semester taking me about 2.5 hrs to get to being a CFI and while free would the drive be worth it or would paying the other school 50k for everything then add on about 5k for a multiple add on makes sense and I could possibly go quicker than one rating every school semester.