View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 04:19 PM
tsimmns927
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
You could potentially use the GI Bill for something else?
Some will say the R-ATP is worth it as it gets you to the Regionals quicker.
That could be 5-6 months quicker.
Commercial ticket doesn’t really get you that many job opportunities.
Your training will likely be more in-depth and more structured if you go the R-ATP route.
If I recall correctly your Private is on your own dime, the rest is reimbursed.
See if you can do your Private at the local mom and pop shop before you commit.
You’ve earned that GI Bill, be a shame not to use it
I could also use the Gi Bill at the 141 school to knock about 13k off the 50k cost. So it would knock it down to 38k or so giving me 250 hrs. I would say the instruction at this school would also be top notch as it’s all retired military pilots who also do training for NATO pilots as well. Just debating options.

Also, I’m pretty sure if I enroll at the community college the PPL would be covered as it’s part of the degree. The community college would also get me to CFI if I decide to go that route for free also. Just pondering ideas.

I do have a local woman who would instruct me for 170 an hr at all cost that could take me through all the ratings, but no gi bill use. I guess my main goal would be to get my ratings with little to no debt and then start building time as fast as possible, regardless of if it’s instructing, having to split time flying, being a safety pilot, patrol pilot or anything in between. Unfortunately I don’t have any pilots in my family so no mentors so to speak of. I just don’t want to be sitting here next year in the same spot wondering what to do with 0 hrs under my belt.