View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 07:29 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by OpieTaylor View Post
They simply upguage current frequency to meet demand in lieu of restoring lost RJ frequency.
That works, if the frequency is sufficient. You can't always fix the problem with larger planes and lower frequency, many of the pax will just make other arrangements... sometimes that means just staying home. There is a very real discretionary travel market enabled by convenient, low-cost flights.

Originally Posted by OpieTaylor View Post
Difficult to know if RJ departure frequency is truly more profitable, or a carry over from pre mergers when it was the cheapest way to scale the network, and offer more product options with cheap overhead.
The lowest CASM solution is to run one widebody weekly, and they do that in some places overseas where people have more time than money. That sort of frequency is inadequate for most US customers.

More frequency ALWAYS means more customers... in my rural hometown we have a very few local flights, or can drive to two other airports (1-2 hour drive). On the days where they add a flight or two, I'll fly out of the local small airport. But if it's 8-12 hours off my desired schedule, I'll drive to the hub (they even have a bus).

There's obviously a point of diminishing economic returns on added frequency. There is a sweet spot where more frequency (enabled by RJ's in small markets) gives a competitive advantage (convenience) despite higher CASM of smaller planes.

There are variables...

Gucci vacation destinations support schedules which would be uneconomical for Podunk Falls.

The cost to staff an outstation... typically need three flights on most days, although that can be mitigated if one company handles multiple brands on contract.