View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 08:44 PM
symbian simian
Line holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: On the bus,seat 0A

Originally Posted by BKbigfish View Post
The benefit offsets dollar for dollar for any future income earned. If you go out and find a job that pays $60k, your LTD benefit is reduced by $60k. Of all the weaknesses in our current LTD policy, this is the one in most desperate need of fixing.
I’m not stupid (feel free to disagree), but I really don’t understand why the insurance company/Spirit wouldn’t push for at least a partial offset. Apparently they think they should not have to pay a cent for every cent that I am capable of making, and I understand that, but where is the motivation for me to even try working? If I would lose half a dollar of my LTD for every (after tax) dollar I made with a side job, both the insurance and I would come out ahead. Is it ALPA holding out for 0 offset that is the problem? I mean, that would be great, but if it’s never going to happen…. Not negotiating in public, but would have liked a survey question “would you take a 50% offset, company DC contribution, health insurance till Medicare, over the current plan”.