Thread: Fed Ex Mentor
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 01:13 PM
CloudSailor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006

Colin,

If FedEx is your ultimate career goal for flying, as it has been for me for quite some time, I would recommend the following:

Once you get through training, once you're awarded a base, and once you're off reserve... think of applying to FedEx to throw (or handle nicely) boxes at a sort facility near your home. Once you have been a FedEx employee for 12 months (I believe, if not I'm sure someone will correct it), you will be able to complete an internal-type of application for a pilot position. Of course, to interview you will need to meet the hiring minimums (which you'll find on this website), and you will need to meet them at a time when interviews are taking place, or wait for interviews to resume...

I did not go through that process, but my FedEx 'mentor' did, many years ago. I believe the same rules still apply.

So, you work part-time for FedEx while you fly for Mesa, make sure to do a good job at both, and when your 1000 PIC comes around, as long as they're interviewing and you meet all the other minimums, you'll be ready to interview.

Try to enjoy your flying now, which can be done at Mesa, truly. Basically, enjoy the process of getting to FedEx. Good luck.