Old 01-14-2022, 11:33 AM
SonicFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by Av8tr1 View Post
Well wonder no more! NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein (nuclearsecrecy.com)

I think there is a lot of myth surrounding nukes. They are not the world killers we are led to believe. It isn't like what is shown in The Terminator. Not that I am discounting the damage, death and destruction. They are in no way a good thing. But nuclear blasts are not as large as people make them out to be.

I am down at fort Bragg. On base I am a dead man but literally 45 minutes away from the base I am unscathed by China's (for example) current ICBM at 5000KT. Something when I lived in DC. If I was sitting at my desk at the Pentagon, I'm a pile of radioactive ash blowing in the wind. But at my home in Ashburn, I would be completely untouched. My car would still work. I'd probably still have Youtube TV to watch live updates as they happen. Well, you know, between Rick and Morty episodes. What better show to watch as the world ends around you?
Ehh.... only if you're protected from fallout.... and this also assumes their targeting / accuracy is good... something the Soviets struggled with (which is why they made their bombs so big, to compensate for lack of accuracy).