View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 07:12 PM
tsimmns927
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
Ask 10 people this question and you'll get 10 answers. It's difficult to know what you're getting into and how it will play out when you first start - which is why everyone has the same question you just asked. It's the old saying, "you don't know what you don't know". Either route can work just fine and some of the key variables have already been pointed out. Earning your first certificate is the most challenging because you don't know what it takes to pass a checkride. From there on, you have a pretty good idea on what to expect. So here's my opinion that you asked for. Flying is flying - you can either do it or not on the day of the checkride. The oral portion, that you need to pass first, is always a much more challenging hurdle. But this is also where YOU can do a lot to better your chance of success and for minimal cost or even for free. Read, Read, Read. Lots of books out there to help prep you and a million YouTubers out there as well - some better than others, YMMV.

I bounced around different flight schools, flying clubs, independent instructors, etc - all part 61. Some felt like a good fit, others felt like they were stealing my money. Some had zero structure, some had a good syllabus. I spent several years flying for fun part time while gaining my certificates. I'm not sure if I spent more or less money than someone who paid a big name school to have it all done in 18 months or less but I do have zero debt from it. Debt management is important when you're just getting started and throwing out those first applications.
Thanks for this. While I’ve not flown since my discovery flight due to waiting on a possible foot surgery with my guard unit there are two things you mentioned here. One is check rides, I’m still studying the ASA book and going through the Sportys online school, but the oral portion already has me worried. Also, being debt free is my biggest goal. With the GI bill, I should be able to get most of my training for free. Couple that with the hope to be at the 1250 R-ATP minimum and hopefully within the next 2.5 to 3 years I can be at a regional. My biggest fear is missing the hiring wave people mention that will happen in the next 4-5 years. If I can make it to a ULCC by the time I’ve 50 (being 39 currently) I’ve be perfectly happy.