View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 03:04 AM
Pilotdude3407
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Default Indoc New Hire Questions

Originally Posted by JTwift View Post
I’ll be commuting from ATL. Are lines commutable on 73 vs bus? How long to get a commutable line? Looking at EWR and IAD. Trying to figure out how to bid while minimizing crash pads or hotels (extra days, really).

opinions/advice appreciated

I’m a ATL-EWR commuter on the 73. I started in July and with the backlog in OE never sat reserve (until Dec due to the massive G-line adjustment). I’m back to a line in Jan/Feb. I can hold commutable back end (or front end) trips right now. Sometimes I get commutable both ends. You will have to be ok with some red eyes on occasion but they aren’t the worst thing ever. I am also able to swap into commutable both ends fairly regularly as long as I’m willing to lose an hour or two of pay.

I have commuted over the years to DCA/IAD/ORD and the ewr commute is by far my least favorite. There are at least 25 pilots I have personally met that commute to ewr and I’m sure a bunch more I haven’t met. There are boatloads of FAs that commute to ewr and usually the most junior of them are deep into the 90’s hire date. It is a tough and unpredictable commute but thus far I have not been able to make it some way or another. Just be aware of that.

The 73 fleet out of EWR is probably your best bet for movement and great flying. We go EVERYWHERE. I will see west coast, east coast, Midwest, Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America at some point every month. Generally no more than two legs a day.

PM me if you have any more questions. Happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk