View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 06:00 PM
HPIC
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by JohnnyBekkestad View Post
Cool, i am looking at using my Bose 700 with a avee mic. Does the plane have an XLR plug? Do you usually go headphones off during cruise?
My buddy over at FedEx says they don't have IC/Hot mic on the MD11...
Standard 2 plug headset jacks on all but a very few airplanes in the company. I don’t think there are any 747’s with anything other than the standard 2 plug. Get an adapter if you need it.

All the 747’s have the ability to use hot mic…some have locking switches on the yoke, others use rubber bands on the audio panel. You may not understand the rubber band thing now but you will if you fly the 747 or most any modern Boeing.

Headsets off during cruise…sometimes. Depends on the person, where you are, etc. Over the ocean where you don’t talk on the radio for hours? I’d say most take them off. In a radar environment talking to ATC(often with foreign accents)? Most wear the headset.

The 747 is loud down low due to high IAS but as you get higher it’s quieter. Often times long flights are mostly spent in lower altitudes where it’s louder. I wouldn’t say it’s quiet at any altitude compared to other aircraft, including several other Boeing models, I’ve flown.