View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
kalyx522
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Student Pilot

Originally Posted by jedinein View Post
Leave Ethiopia out of it. You can be fulfilled without meeting basic needs, although technically, it is your definition of basic needs is different than most people.

A wise man once told me two things: "Do what you love and the money will follow" and "create multiple streams of income."

Those statements have allowed me to be one of the most expensive instructor on the field, on an hourly basis. It has prompted me to have multiple streams of income, so I can easily take or leave potential clients. It allows survival while I gain the jet hours needed to move on to the next instructing level, or decide if that is really what I want to do. And, it allows survival and gives me something to do while I sit on the ground waiting to heal enough to get back to flying and instructing.
I think Hindsight was referring to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which I'm sure you learned about during your initial CFI training (that's where I learned it). It's UNIVERSAL - the basic needs referring to stuff like food, shelter and sex. I disagree with your saying you can be fulfilled without meeting basic needs... how can you enjoy your flying if you're starving or homeless or haven't gotten laid in 5 years? And that's his point, if you can't even afford the basic stuff on regional wage, how can you say you are truly fulfilled because the basic stuff like food and shelter must come before anything else. Of course, he is saying a 23 year old with no family usually CAN support himself on 15k/year and that is why you will find only people like that wondering such questions.

As far as you being able to charge more for your CFI services.. well that is different because CFIs can be independent contractors.. airline pilots are not.
In any case, you state the importance of creating multiple streams of income (which I agree with.) Isn't that in line with what Hindsight is saying? After all, why would you need to create additional sources of income (i.e., additional WORK) if your airline job was truly fulfilling? Even if you don't NEED to create more income, but WANT to (for security or nicer things or whatever), that itself is saying you still aren't fulfilled on some level.