Old 05-16-2006, 07:07 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Hobby

Originally Posted by ecrane99
Hi, I'm an 800 hr private pilot with 150hr intrument time flying a Mooney.
I have a great carreer in technology that gets me $100k per year which I don't take for granted. I really love to fly but I end up spending 20k-30k a year doing my own trips and angel flights. I would really love to have a part time gig that would allow me to fly a route in a single or twin on a regular basis, but still keep my day job. I am willing to invest in any training that would land me such a position. Pay is not a factor, the payoff would be doing what I love and not paying for it like i do now. Here are some details about me:

age 40 (married)
time 800 hr single eng
cross country time 450hr
instrument 140hr
pilots license since 1992 (no accidents)
2nd class medical (225lbs, 6'4", Glasses)
no college, but many tech schools and certs
Fantasy/Dream: Fly corp jets or netjets.

Your advice is greatly apprecitaed. Ed

Stick with it as a hobby. The road is long and the price is punishingly high to your lifestyle. Not only will it take a huge hit to your income potential but to your home life as well. Consider continuing to build your time until you are past child raising and have enough money saved up to retire then jump in at 55 or so.

Resist the urge to give in to the mid-life crisis or else you could end up divorced, poor, earning 28K per year, living in a two bedroom apartment with four 20 somethings and wondering how you got there.

SkyHigh