View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 11:01 AM
paulcg77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by 135tankerdriver View Post
Just wondering if there’s any retired AD pilots who decided to not fly post AD retirement…

What are you doing instead of flying? Do you like it? Any regrets?
I am a reservist but prior AD and I've known AD retirees go to a variety of flying and non-flying jobs after retirement. I'd say the majority I know who go to non-flying jobs have ended up either as DOD/government civilian GS employees or as contractors, especially in aviation/engineering desk jobs. WIth veterans preference and the amount of DOD experience you retire with, it's a pretty easy gig to get from what I hear. For flying jobs, I know a few who went to CBP as civilian FW pilots; one who flies king airs out of North Island so he doesn't see a huge difference between that lifestyle and his old navy job. A few went to contractors like L3H and one is now a federal LEO (1811). Fed LE jobs usually have a cutoff of late 30's but they'll give you credit for your military service that raises the max age you can join and go through FLETC I guess, so if you retire from the mil by your early-mid 40's you can probably still do that too with an age waiver.