View Single Post
Old 02-11-2022, 08:04 PM
135tankerdriver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by PurpleToolBox View Post
I say this sincerely and respectfully, I am happy that you're happy. However, a couple of things.

I work less than half of each month. With good use of the contract and vacation rules, I can go almost two months without working -- and I could not imagine being off work any more, nor would I ever want to! Waking up every morning without a purpose is not fun nor good for your health. I agree that time with family and friends is priceless.

I enjoy aviation because there's always something new to learn and the eye-hand-feet coordination and scanning skills keep my brain sharp.I also enjoy teaching or passing on my knowledge to the newer generation of pilots. Of course working yourself to death is muy no bueno. Being 40-ish and doing nothing for the rest of your life would be dreadful.

A military retirement in Commiefornia, even with everything paid for, isn't going to go very far in the future. CA is a sinkhole state and taxes will only go up. Our country is headed for a fiscal disaster. The last thing I would be counting on is a government check.

I don't live in CA. I live in an income tax free state and the cost of ownership/operation/taxes (everything's paid for) of the house and toys far exceed "half of a military retirement" pay.

Yes, money isn't everything. But not leaving your children's children a legacy is not good, especially when you have the skills to do so.

Proverbs 13:22 "A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children."
Just have a few serious questions for you…

How has your the flying schedule affected your body/mind?

What are you gonna do when you’re 66?

Have you asked your family how they feel about you being gone and if so what did they say?

You mentioned... “the cost of ownership/operation/taxes (everything's paid for) of the house and toys far exceed "half of a military retirement" pay.” Just curious what numbers you’re using for mil retirement pay? And are we talking McMansion and Corvette, Boats, etc. or are you talking 2500 sq/ft house with a Miata?

“A good man spends quality time with his family while he’s alive” - random secular humanist