Thread: CAL Commutes?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 02:30 PM
southbound
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Boeing

You ask a vauge question..... Where do you live? Do you have an interview? Only CAL bases are IAH, EWR, CLE and GUM. If you were more specific on where you want to live I could help. Having now commuted to both coasts, lived in several bases and now commuting again here is what I can offer.

I'm a new guy at CAL an commute from Colorado. Commuting eats time and energy and takes away bidding flexibility. Unfortunately it is a cost of business at CAL due to the poor base selection (IMO). That being said, it is possible with a few things in mind. Going to EWR sucks. Guys that drive, guys that fly from all over the country, it sucks. Ask around. It takes quite a bit of planning and anticipation due to the horribly jacked ATC/weather delays make that place hard to count on. It also is the junior base (almost no time on 737 reserve), has the best/most varied flying in all fleet types. Give and take with EWR.

My advice is if you don't want to live within a drive to a hub find a place with lots of frequency, no more than 1 time zone away with large airplanes and multiple airlines offering service. Even better would be to do what many CAL pilots do. Live in PA, upstate NY, or MA or CT and go to EWR or AUS, SAT, DAL and go to IAH. Those commutes can be driven which takes away some of the pucker factor, esp while you're a new guy and trying to remain under the radar.
Good luck.