View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
ExperimentalAB
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by jelloy683 View Post
I'm kind of worried that when i start at the airlines, the fun of flying is going to be taken away, since very little "flying" is going to be done. I've heard that everything is so automated and regulated, that you barely even do anything anymore besides monitor the systems.
One year into my flight taining, I realized the nature of the training program was going to make me hate flying. I went out and spent the few grand I had in savings on a small plane to fly on the weekends...

When I first began training for Trans States, I remember thinking "wow all this automation is great!" That feeling lasted about two weeks on the Line, at which point I realized that it was a crap job that paid lousy, and I wasn't able to do what it was that got me into flying in the first place - flying the damn airplane!

Once you do get into the 121 gig, I strongly urge you to keep your skills up - don't use the automation religiously, hand-fly the plane raw-data once in a while, and go green-needles (land-nav). It's amazing how the little stuff you do up there that actually requires thinking can make the job enjoyable again.

Sure the job sucks sometimes, but you take the good days with the bad, and never forget that a bad day flying is always better than the best at a desk.