View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 09:19 PM
Clcoregon
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by newerjguy View Post
Pros: great plane, good money, tons of opportunities for open time (if you want to live on the road for whatever reason), predictable schedules, generally chill peopleCons: you get a PF leg once a month (maybe 2 if you're lucky), very hard on your body, fitness, and sleep quality. No variety in the current system...you will see the same few places over and over. Schedule: 30 or 60-day bid lines just like the other fleets. If you get a 30-day line (they tend to go senior) you will go out for 18 days on average (gateway to base on your last day off, then fly a 17-day pattern and probably be able to catch a flight home the same day that you finish the pattern). 60-day lines have you go out for a few trips anywhere from 5-10 days in length (5 is rare) with 5-9 days off between trips. More time commuting, but back in your own bed with more frequency. Flying: almost all international long-haul flights with a crew of 4. Like the 747 it is hard on your body, especially the 20-ish hour days with a 2-leg stopover in Hong Kong to reload the plane. Right now we mostly fly for DHL, and have 4 more airframes being delivered over the next two years. Will we get more variety in the system via new contracts and routes? Passenger charters one day? Who knows...but I think we will have 777's at Atlas for quite awhile. Overnights: we see tons and tons of Incheon and Narita, some Leipzig, a dash of Sao Paulo, some Miami, Anchorage, LAX, and Cincinnati. The hotels are generally good. Incheon is currently going through another round of lockdown-esque rules, but otherwise there is some fun to be had most everywhere we go. Overall it's an easy job. My QOL is way better than at the regionals, but it's not bidding long-call reserve in base at a PAX carrier either.
I appreciate all the info, very clear. There is no "best" aircraft. It is up to each one's objectives and preferences. Thanks for adding more about the 777 , It definitely made easier to compare with the others.